The township has one part-time departmental employee, but strives to provide free services to residents. If you have a skill, we may have an opportunity for you, and promise to be very grateful!
Here is a list of some current volunteer opportunities in the township:
- Bluebird Box Monitor: Walk about a quarter mile along Gast Ditch at Harris Township Park with an experienced Audubon Society member who will show you the ropes and offer their expertise on birds and their habitats. Check on eight bluebird boxes to determine if nests and babies are present.
Participate in a bird count, check on the Kestrel box near the toll road, and on the Screech Owl box at the edge of the woods. You might even spot an Eagle – someone says they did in the Spring of 2015. No experience needed. Flexible time commitment.
- Community Garden Leader: Lead the effort to plant, maintain and harvest a garden on township property. Recruit and coordinate volunteer efforts. Growing season time commitment. Will be supported by township and local Unity Garden organization. No experience needed.
- Park Planning Participant: Help plan for a variety of improvements at Harris Township Park and Elm Road Pedestrian Park. Seeking people interested in sports, leisure activities, wildlife, children, plant life, cycling and other outdoor activity. Or just people with the gift of vision. Passion for the community required. Somewhat flexible time commitment in 2015.
- Grounds Clean-up: Pick up litter at any of four township properties: Harris Township Park, Elm Road Pedestrian Park, Salem Cemetery, and Harris Prairie Cemetery. It doesn’t have to feel like work. Walking the 1 mile perimeter of Harris Township Park with a garbage bag in hand can be good for you, and even a bit fun! No experience needed. Flexible time commitment. Garbage bags provided.
- Communications: Help the township reach residents by crafting marketing messages, authoring a newsletter, taking pictures, utilizing social media, building partnerships, or any creative approach. This is a great opportunity to gain experience you can show off later.
- Construction: Help plan or implement projects like a perimeter trail, picnic shelter, wildlife habitats, playing courts, installing equipment, or improving landscaping. The more expertise you bring, the better. If you sign up for a project, we ask you be available to see it to conclusion. That said, we can usually also use people who simply like to work with their hands.
- Cemetery Research: Research the history of a cemetery or those buried there, or help improve cemetery records. No experience needed. Flexible time commitment, but please commit to finishing whatever you start.
Interested in any of these opportunities? Contact us to get started!